Best Places to Propose In Europe: Epic Proposal Ideas
Europe is a popular place to propose – we help capture multiple engagements here per week! Coming up with great Europe proposal ideas and planning the details may feel like a challenge… there are just so many beautiful places to choose from! But don’t let all the details overwhelm you. The most important thing is that your proposal reflects you both as a couple, no matter how casual or grandeur it is.
Whether your style is uber-romantic, unique and eccentric, or private and intimate, we have some great suggestions to help you pick the perfect (and most photogenic!) proposal spot. Below we list some of our favorite marriage proposal ideas, the best places to propose in Europe, as well as our tips on hiring a proposal photographer to capture it all.
- Europe Proposal Ideas
- Best Places to Propose in Europe
- How to Hire a Europe Proposal Photographer
Europe Proposal Ideas
We’ve helped so many couples just like you plan and capture this momentous occasion, so we’d like to think we have learned a thing or two along the way. Allow us to give you some pointers.
Your proposal moment is not the best time to wing it. You want your future fiance to feel like some serious thought went into it – it’s a big deal! You have probably already been stressing about the big moment, but take a deep breath and start with our 4 tips to pulling off the perfect Europe proposal:
- Choose a special location. Our favorite places to propose in Europe are listed below! You have probably already daydreamed about the big moment, and it’s important to imagine the type of proposal you want to have – romantic, intimate, adventurous, unique, or casual. Most importantly, your proposal should reflect you both as a couple. Once you have your proposal vibe in mind, you can start thinking about locations.
- Ensuring that your proposal remains a complete surprise is all about having a solid backstory. If you are going somewhere you wouldn’t normally go, make sure you have a story in place to explain why you are going there.
- Consider hiring a secret proposal photographer to snap professional photos of the special moment. Tell your photographer all your proposal ideas and goals, and they can help you plan the location, where to stand, and the ideal time for the best photos. On the big day, your photographer can be ready at the designated spot to capture the moment, paparazzi-style. If your partner has no idea that the proposal is coming, you’ll capture all the joy, the tears, and most importantly, the yes!
- Practice getting down on one knee beforehand and think about what you will say. You don’t need to have your speech memorized, but spend a little time jotting down what you’d like to say. Stick to an idea, not a script. Of course, don’t forget to finish with: Will you marry me?
Best Places to Propose in Europe
Choosing a gorgeous destination is a great way to start, so you are already on the right track! We see a lot of engagements every week and know the best places to propose in Europe. Check out our list below to start getting some Europe proposal ideas.
Park Güell, Barcelona
Park Güell is full of gardens and architectural wonders designed by Antoni Gaudí, the same guy who designed La Sagrada Familia church. It is located on Carmel Hill, and you can simply stroll around the entire grounds until you find a spot that speaks to you.
Warning: there are too many beautiful spots to choose from!
Trevi Fountain, Rome
We recommend starting at the Pantheon and making your way to the Trevi Fountain. After popping the question, the photographer can capture the post-proposal glow at the Spanish Steps. This short route covers 3 of the most iconic photo spots in Rome, and they are all great spots to propose. We recommend starting early since they can get very crowded, especially in the summer. Check out our detailed guide for a Trevi Fountain proposal.
Petrin Hill, Prague
With its winding paths and secluded rose gardens, Petrin Hill is the perfect place for a private proposal. The path all the way to the top leads to some of the best panoramic views of the city. The best way to get here is by tram (9, 12, 15, or 22), or by the funicular that dates back to 1891. Petřín Lookout Tower is probably the highest viewpoint in the city and is worth checking out.
The Eiffel Tower, Paris
Start at Bir-Hakeim, a two-level bridge with views of the Eiffel Tower. Stroll along the banks of the river while overlooking the Eiffel Tower. Then find the perfect spot without too many people, and pop the question!
Piazzale Michelangelo, Florence
One of the most picturesque places to propose in Florence is Piazzale Michelangelo. Located on the top of a hill overlooking the entire city, The Duomo, Palazzo della Signoria, and Ponte Vecchio are all clearly visible, making it one of the most romantic places to bend the knee! It is a bit far from all of the major tourist attractions, but it is definitely worth the trek to the top.
Sometimes it can get crowded, so just around the corner is a great spot near Basilica San Miniato al Monte. There is a staircase with a great view and far fewer people.
Jordaan Neighborhood, Amsterdam
The Bloemgracht Bridge is over the Flower Canal which is a relatively narrow canal through the Center District. It is in the Jordaan neighborhood which is full of boutique shops, art galleries, and coffee stands.
Oia Village, Santorini
The blue domes of Santorini are probably the most iconic parts of the entire island, and Oia village has some of the best of them! The most famous of all is probably Anastasis Church, which is just off the pathway before Patisserie Medevio. Head down the staircase for a great view of the church!
The stunning and unique white buildings set into the cliff are incredibly picturesque and set the romantic mood for a Santorini proposal. Wander through the pathways and find your favorite spot! We really love the steps leading down to Amoudi Beach on the western side. Along the way, you’ll see some of the best views! The Byzantine Castle ruins at sunset are also amazing, but it can get very crowded.
We would suggest that if you are looking for bright colorful photos for your Santorini proposal, then the best time would be at ~ 8 am in Oia Village to try to avoid the crowds.
Gondola Ride, Venice
Yes, it may be a bit pricey to rent a gondola, but a trip to Venice is incomplete without it. Explore the narrow, quieter waterways and maybe even let your gondolier in on your plan to pull off a Venice proposal. The legend says that if you kiss under the Bridge of Sighs in your gondola at sunset, your future will be blessed with eternal love!
How to Hire a Europe Proposal Photographer
The moment you reach for the ring, adrenaline and emotions start to kick in and you might not even remember the moment! Hiring a secret Europe proposal photographer for your surprise engagement will allow you to capture and relive that moment again and again.
Your marriage proposal is a story you will never tire of telling, so it definitely deserves better than selfies! Capture it with Europe proposal photography that you’ll look back on for years to come.
How does a proposal photoshoot work?
Before choosing a photographer, we recommend having some Europe proposal ideas in mind first! There are two ways a proposal photoshoot usually happens:
- Hire the photographer for a “normal” photoshoot with your partner, but let the photographer in on your secret proposal plan! This is the best way to ensure the photographer captures the moment perfectly, usually at a closer distance and better positioned.
- The photographer can be waiting at the designated spot to secretly capture the moment, paparazzi-style. After the big moment, the photographer can introduce themselves and proceed to capture that post-engagement glow.
After your photo shoot is booked, you will be able to plan and coordinate with your photographer directly.
What’s included in a Europe proposal package?
With every proposal photography package, you’ll get high-resolution engagement photos that are professionally edited and delivered by email in a private online gallery within 5 business days. In your gallery, you will be able to see all the photos from your proposal photoshoot and get to download a certain number of your favorites, depending on your package. It also includes:
- one-on-one planning with your proposal photographer
- photos of the big moment and post-engagement
- private online gallery
- high-resolution photos that are professionally edited
- photos delivered within 5 days
How much does a Europe proposal photographer cost?
We have photographers on our team that specialize in capturing proposals and engagement photoshoots. Check out our list of the best Europe proposal photographers to see pricing, compare portfolios, read customer reviews, and check date availability: