Santorini Proposal Ideas: Best Places for an Epic Engagement
Of all the places in the world to propose, Santorini is arguably one of the most beautiful. There are some stunning locations to choose from, it can be hard to pick! Santorini is voted one of the most romantic destinations every year and is a main destination for honeymooners, so the island always has love in the air! Planning the details of a Santorini proposal may feel like a challenge… there are just so many beautiful places to choose from! But don’t let all the details overwhelm you. The most important thing is that your proposal reflects you both as a couple, no matter how casual or grandeur it is.
Whether your style is uber-romantic, unique and eccentric, or private and intimate, we have some great suggestions to help you pick the perfect (and most photogenic!) proposal spot. Below we list some of our favorite marriage proposal ideas, the best places to propose in Santorini, as well as our tips on hiring a proposal photographer to capture it all.
- Santorini Proposal Ideas
- Best Places to Propose in Santorini
- How to Hire a Santorini Proposal Photographer
Santorini Proposal Ideas
We’ve helped so many couples just like you plan and capture this momentous occasion, so we’d like to think we have learned a thing or two along the way. Allow us to give you some pointers.
Your proposal moment is not the best time to wing it. You want your future fiance to feel like some serious thought went into it – it’s a big deal! You have probably already been stressing about the big moment, but take a deep breath and start with our 4 tips to pulling off the perfect Santorini proposal:
- Choose a special location. Our favorite places to propose in Santorini are listed below! You have probably already daydreamed about the big moment, and it’s important to imagine the type of proposal you want to have – romantic, intimate, adventurous, unique, or casual. Most importantly, your proposal should reflect you both as a couple. Once you have your proposal vibe in mind, you can start thinking about locations.
- Ensuring that your proposal remains a complete surprise is all about having a solid backstory. If you are going somewhere you wouldn’t normally go, make sure you have a story in place to explain why you are going there.
- Consider hiring a secret proposal photographer to snap professional photos of the special moment. Tell your photographer all your proposal ideas and goals, and they can help you plan the location, where to stand, and the ideal time for the best photos. On the big day, your photographer can be ready at the designated spot to capture the moment, paparazzi-style. If your partner has no idea that the proposal is coming, you’ll capture all the joy, the tears, and most importantly, the yes!
- Practice getting down on one knee beforehand and think about what you will say. You don’t need to have your speech memorized, but spend a little time jotting down what you’d like to say. Stick to an idea, not a script. Of course, don’t forget to finish with: Will you marry me?
Best Places to Propose in Santorini
Choosing a gorgeous destination is a great way to start, so you are already on the right track! We see a lot of engagements every week and know the best places to propose in Santorini. Check out our list below to start getting some Santorini proposal ideas.
The blue domes of Santorini are probably the most iconic parts of the entire island, and Oia village has some of the best of them, including the famous Three Blue Domes at Agios Spiridonas. The most famous of all is probably Anastasis Church, which is just off the pathway before Patisserie Medevio. Head down the staircase for a great view of the church!
The stunning and unique white buildings set into the cliff are incredibly picturesque and set the romantic mood for a Santorini proposal. Wander through the pathways and find your favorite spot! We really love the steps leading down to Amoudi Beach on the western side. Along the way, you’ll see some of the best views! The Byzantine Castle ruins at sunset are also amazing, but it can get very crowded.
We would suggest that if you are looking for bright colorful photos for your Santorini proposal, then the best time would be at ~ 8 am in Oia Village to try to avoid the heat and the crowds.
Anastasi Orthodox Church
The Anastasi Orthodox church is a great place to propose in Santorini as it has two of the most iconic symbols: the blue domed church and the flowering bougainvillea tree!
There are two windmills on the Western side of Oia that attract crowds of spectators in the evening. These are some of the most famous Instagram photo spots in Santorini. Watching the sun set behind them is truly a magical experience. Of course, if you are not looking for a sunset picture, this spot is a lot less crowded during the day.
If Oia is not your style, or you feel like there are way too many people, check out Imerovigli! The sunsets are just as beautiful and way less crowded. If you are looking to pull off a sunset Santorini proposal, the best time would be 30 minutes before the sun sets.
Three Domes of Santorini Viewpoint
The iconic three domes are one of the most well-known landmarks of Oia. Unfortunately, they are located in private property so you can only get in if you book a hotel or Airbnb in the area.
Amoudi Bay is a colorful port with volcanic cliffs. It is only a 15 min walk below the town of Oia.
The town of Fira is made up of all sorts of stunning blue buildings built into the cliffside which makes for the most beautiful and unique views. As you’re walking around Fira there will be all sorts of spots where you can capture the beauty of Fira.
The Three Bells of Fira, known as The Church of Koimisi Tis Theotokou is a Catholic Church in the town of Fira. It’s most known for its beautiful blue dome, three bells, and picturesque view. Due to its location it’s not the easiest place to photograph, but the wall behind the church offers a picturesque place to propose in Santorini.
Skaros was one of the original 5 settlements of Santorini. Take a short hike from Imerovigli all the way up to the top where you’ll have stunning views that set the stage for an epic Santorini proposal. Perched on the edge of the cliff under Skaros rock is the Panagia Theoskepasti Chapel with the iconic blue dome and bell.
Private Places to Propose in Santorini
Maybe you are looking for more intimate Santorini engagement ideas? Or you may prefer something simple yet creative? Finding a proposal spot in Santorini that is private, quiet, and intimate can be challenging, but here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Cater a private dinner and celebration at a luxury Airbnb.
- Rent a scooter, motorcycle, or maybe even a boat to cruise around until you find the perfect engagement spot.
- Book a private table at your restaurant of choice and get help from the staff to pull it off. Restaurants and cafes with views of the caldera are in demand so it’s a good idea to make reservations in advance. We highly recommend Franco’s Bar which offers an amazing view over the white-washed buildings on the coastline.
How to Hire a Santorini Proposal Photographer
The moment you reach for the ring, adrenaline and emotions start to kick in and you might not even remember the moment! Hiring a secret Santorini proposal photographer for your surprise engagement will allow you to capture and relive that moment again and again.
Your marriage proposal is a story you will never tire of telling, so it definitely deserves better than selfies! Capture it with Santorini proposal photography that you’ll look back on for years to come.
How does a proposal photoshoot work?
Before choosing a photographer, we recommend having some Santorini proposal ideas in mind first! There are two ways a proposal photoshoot usually happens:
- Hire the photographer for a “normal” photoshoot with your partner, but let the photographer in on your secret proposal plan! This is the best way to ensure the photographer captures the moment perfectly, usually at a closer distance and better positioned.
- The photographer can be waiting at the designated spot to secretly capture the moment, paparazzi-style. After the big moment, the photographer can introduce themselves and proceed to capture that post-engagement glow.
After your photo shoot is booked, you will be able to plan and coordinate with your photographer directly.
What’s included in a Santorini proposal package?
With every proposal photography package, you’ll get high-resolution engagement photos that are professionally edited and delivered by email in a private online gallery within 5 business days. In your gallery, you will be able to see all the photos from your proposal photoshoot and get to download a certain number of your favorites, depending on your package. It also includes:
- one-on-one planning with your proposal photographer
- photos of the big moment and post-engagement
- private online gallery
- high-resolution photos that are professionally edited
- photos delivered within 5 days
How much does a Santorini proposal photographer cost?
We have photographers on our team that specialize in capturing proposals and engagement photoshoots. Check out our list of the best Santorini proposal photographers to see pricing, compare portfolios, read customer reviews, and check date availability.
Below are our 3 different Santorini proposal packages & pricing: