Tired of awkward family photos? After 7 years of capturing multi-generational memories around the world, we compiled this list with all the best beach family photoshoot ideas and themes for your next trip.
Having your family photos taken at the beach is becoming more and more popular. Not only does it add a softness to the photo but also makes those participating in the photoshoot more relaxed. With so much room to have fun with this location for a photoshoot, you will be able to have amazing family photos which you will cherish forever.
Book a short & fun photo session with a local family trip photographer and return home with your precious vacation memories captured perfectly.
Beach Family Photoshoot Ideas
Family vacation photography is one of the many joys on the internet – who doesn’t love laughing along at those viral awkward family photos? To avoid your family photoshoot becoming the next meme, check out the following tips for a flawless session with a family vacation photographer.
So you have a family vacation coming up? All the family’s coming? Your itinerary is probably filled with beachside barbecues, lazy days by the ocean, and possibly even a rainy day board game or two. But among all the family bonding, why not capture a little bit of the love on camera? Don’t think a family vacation photoshoot is right for your crew?
There’s a reason nostalgia exists. We always think back to the way things were. Capture the ways things are now, so you have something to look back on later. You never know which family members will move away, how people will change as they grow up, or, sadly, who might not make it to the next family vacation. We also know that it may be hard to fit in a photoshoot during your busy vacation schedule. If this is the case, consider a mini session to get some frame-worthy moments captured in less than 30 minutes.
A few tips for your family beach photoshoot:
- Nothing can ruin a nice family photoshoot faster than having a bunch of random folks in the way! Be sure to choose a beach that you know won’t be particularly crowded. Better yet, do a family beach photoshoot in the offseason! That’ll ensure you’ll have plenty of room to move about and take tons of photos without anyone photobombing.
- In the same sense, it’s important to let young children be young children– that’s where the real magic happens! Don’t worry about having them pose or look a certain way; don’t micromanage them or complain if their hair is looking a bit tousled. Young children can sense when adults are overdoing it or putting a bit of an act on. When you give young children the freedom to be exactly who they are, that’s when the camera can really capture golden moments that you’ll cherish for a lifetime.
What to Wear for a Beach Photoshoot
Like all photo shoots, you want to be as comfortable and as natural as possible. This will ensure the end result of your beach family photoshoot is exactly what you pictured.
When considering your outfit, think about coordinating colors. You don’t need to pay tribute to the ’80s by wearing matching outfits… try coordinating the color palette instead, and your photos will really be something special. It is also a great idea to have different textures within your outfit choices. Heavier materials such as denim pair well with cotton and linen shirts. But the main thing is to consider it to be comfortable.
If you’re looking to have perfect family beach photos that you’ll look back on for years to come, make sure y’all are looking good! Whether you decide that the guys will wear one color and the girls another, or you put the kids in one color and adults in another, there are so many ways to have fun coordinating your outfits. You can keep it real simple and have everyone wear the same color– white is always a great choice for a beach photoshoot!
As mentioned above, you want to be comfortable. Choose an outfit that you can freely move around in and something that suits the environment. Fancier outfits with embellished details don’t belong on a beach photoshoot. Flowy skirts, soft pants, and basic tops in complementary colors are the way to go for the whole family.
You know the one… it’s the go-to family photo outfit. White shirt, khakis. Step away from the khakis, sir. This year, go with a pop of color. Just make sure everyone’s colors cohesively match. You’ll be glad you did when your photos have more personality and just a little pizazz. Just make sure that everyone’s comfortable, especially the kiddos for their photoshoot outfits.
Embrace the colors of the beach by bringing them to your outfit. Soft neutral tones and colors based on green and blue, like the ocean, look great in a beach family shoot, especially paired with white. Ensure your tops are plain, with no bold logos or “out-there” prints. Make sure you avoid bright colors at all costs as they can appear harsh against such a soft background.
The best shoes for a beach family photoshoot are no shoes at all. Not only does it look more natural but you won’t have to worry if you do get a little wet. If you are one of those people that can really not stand having sandy toes, consider lightweight trainers in a white or neutral color. Like with your outfit, avoid bright colors as this is all you will see then in your photos.
Best Poses for Family Beach Pictures
Leave those awkward family poses at home folks! When you hire a vacation photographer for a family photoshoot, the best photos are genuine, candid moments. Don’t worry about being “on” for the camera – leave it to the photographer to do the hard work!
While a few poses are fine for the Christmas cards, family beach poses are best when they are candid. If you are at the beach, make sure to get a few shots of the kids playing in the sand, or the entire family walking up and down the shoreline. Enjoy some of the normal activities you love and soon the all-natural smiles and real laughter will follow.
Like all family photos, you want the end result to look natural and not forced. Your photographer may have done photoshoots at that beach before, so make sure you involve them in the process. They will also know the best time for your photoshoot based on lighting and tides.
When posing at the beach you also need to consider the order of the different types of shots you might want to have. Perhaps you want to be sitting on the sand or walking through the water for a few shots. Unfortunately, both of these shots can dirty or dampen your outfit, making other poses in the shoot that day messy or unattractive. Instead, here are a few other family beach poses:
- Holding hands and walking away from the camera is a crowd pleasing shot. Not only does it capture a full body shot, but done in the right lighting and with the right background, it will result in a photo you will want to display for years to come.
- Now, do the opposite by walking towards the camera. Stay natural by chatting and laughing as you walk and your photographer will be able to capture the magic and sparkle of your family.
- Especially if your family shoot includes young children, there is nothing more spectacular on camera than a child having fun while playing in the sand and water. As mentioned above, ensure you plan this shot for the end of your photoshoot in case you get wet.
Following-up on this last idea: rather than lining your kids up and yelling “Say cheese!” simply let them wander and explore. The greatest photos of children can be when they’re investigating their surroundings and just being children. Long gone are the days of bringing kids to a photography studio and lining them up in front of some generic background– there’s no sense of wonder of inspiration to be sought from photos like those. Whether you’re in your own backyard or adventuring in a foreign land, let your kids be kids and the camera will do the rest.
Props for Family Beach Photoshoot
It’s no secret in the world of photography– kids love props! If you’re looking for a way to engage them or distract them (particularly if they’re camera shy), family beach photo props are a lovely idea.
If you’d like to spice things up, bring some props along with you to the beach! From balloons and chalkboards to umbrellas and kites, there are plenty of options. You may even find some natural props – seashells anyone? Props also serve as a great distraction if you or your kids are particularly shy about having photos taken. You can even think about creating a picnic scene to be photographed, or use a local lifeguard tower:
By adding props to your beach photoshoot, you can add a little something that makes it a little more special to your family.
- When you are planning your family beach photoshoot, think about what your family’s interests are. Maybe it’s a sport such as football or soccer, which you can all play during your photoshoot.
- You might even want to have fun with words. Chalk boards and letter light boards can be used to add sayings, dates, and can make the photo shoot personal.
- A fun, and beach friendly prop, especially for photoshoots with children are bubbles. Your photographer can weave their magic with how the bubbles reflect in the light. But most of all, it will distract the children and create natural photos.
Family Beach Photoshoot Packages
Family beach photographer costs can vary greatly. They can be hard to contact, and keeping track of everyone’s portfolios and different prices can also be difficult. For this reason, we made it easy and arranged affordable photoshoot pricing that can fit your budget.
Within a week of your beach photoshoot, you’ll receive a nice bunch of the best photos from the shoot in a private online gallery. Also, you’ll be able to directly download your favorite 15, 30, 45, or 60 digital photos based on the package you choose. All photos in your gallery will be edited by your photographer. Included in every package:
- EXPERT PHOTO EDITING: All photos are edited for light, color, and sharpness to make your photos gorgeous. Advanced beauty edits are available for purchase.
- QUICK TURNAROUND: Receive your photos within 5 days of your photoshoot, but usually sooner! Download your choice of 15, 30, 45, or 60 digital photos.
- LOCAL TIPS: Your personal photographer also acts as an informal tour guide with all the best photo spots and local secrets for what to see, eat, & do in town.
- PRINT RELEASE: Turn your digital photos into cherished prints & wall art! Use our printing partners and get FREE SHIPPING – as low as $1 USD for 4×6 luster prints.