Hawaii Proposal Ideas: Best Places for an Epic Engagement
Hawaii is a popular place to propose – we help capture multiple engagements here per week! Coming up with great Hawaii proposal ideas and planning the details may feel like a challenge… there are just so many beautiful places to choose from! But don’t let all the details overwhelm you. The most important thing is that your proposal reflects you both as a couple, no matter how casual or grandeur it is.
Whether your style is uber-romantic, unique and eccentric, or private and intimate, we have some great suggestions to help you pick the perfect (and most photogenic!) proposal spot. Below we list some of our favorite marriage proposal ideas, the best places to propose in Hawaii, as well as our tips on hiring a proposal photographer to capture it all.
- Hawaii Proposal Ideas
- Best Places to Propose in Hawaii
- How to Hire a Hawaii Proposal Photographer
Hawaii Proposal Ideas
We’ve helped so many couples just like you plan and capture this momentous occasion, so we’d like to think we have learned a thing or two along the way. Allow us to give you some pointers.
Your proposal moment is not the best time to wing it. You want your future fiance to feel like some serious thought went into it – it’s a big deal! You have probably already been stressing about the big moment, but take a deep breath and start with our 4 tips to pulling off the perfect Hawaii proposal:
- Choose a special location. Our favorite places to propose in Hawaii are listed below! You have probably already daydreamed about the big moment, and it’s important to imagine the type of proposal you want to have – romantic, intimate, adventurous, unique, or casual. Most importantly, your proposal should reflect you both as a couple. Once you have your proposal vibe in mind, you can start thinking about locations.
- Ensuring that your proposal remains a complete surprise is all about having a solid backstory. If you are going somewhere you wouldn’t normally go, make sure you have a story in place to explain why you are going there.
- Consider hiring a secret proposal photographer to snap professional photos of the special moment. Tell your photographer all your proposal ideas and goals, and they can help you plan the location, where to stand, and the ideal time for the best photos. On the big day, your photographer can be ready at the designated spot to capture the moment, paparazzi-style. If your partner has no idea that the proposal is coming, you’ll capture all the joy, the tears, and most importantly, the yes!
- Practice getting down on one knee beforehand and think about what you will say. You don’t need to have your speech memorized, but spend a little time jotting down what you’d like to say. Stick to an idea, not a script. Of course, don’t forget to finish with: Will you marry me?
Best Places to Propose in Hawaii
How does one get Hawaii engagement ideas and plan for the perfect proposal? Choosing a gorgeous destination is an almost certain step towards success, so you are already on the right track! Below are all the best places to propose in Hawaii for an epic surprise engagement.
All-Time Favorite Hawaii Proposal Ideas
- Memorable proposal idea – On a hike through Kalalau Trail
- Unique proposal idea – Horseback riding in Waipio Valley
- Creative proposal idea – By the Volcano on Big Island
- Private proposal idea – Kauai Helicopter Tour
- Most Instagrammable proposal – Hanauma Bay (the 6th most Instagrammed beach in the world)
Places to Propose in Oahu & Honolulu
- Lanikai Beach – It is not only described as one of the best beaches in Oahu, but it also ranks as one of the best beaches in the world!
- Makapu’u Beach & Lookout – Sheer black cliffs, volcanic ridges, blue bay, and a viewpoint that rises 647 feet from the sea.
- Spitting Caves, Portlock – Accessed via a semi-hidden public access, the short but steep trail leads down to a dramatic shoreline of where waves crash into a cave that “spits” out water.
- Kualoa Regional Beach Park – there’s a reason this 4,000 acres park has been featured in so many movies such as Jurassic Park, 50 First Dates, & Lost… majestic mountains on one side and the tranquil ocean on the other!
Maui Proposal Ideas
The western region of Maui is famous for its 3-mile long Ka’anapali Beach and historic Lahaina Town.
- Oneloa Bay (Ironwoods Cliffs): One of our favorite places to propose in Maui is Oneloa or Ironwoods Cliffs which is a beautiful beach with a boardwalk and impressive cliffs. Although the beach does not have a great sunset view, the dramatic cliffs make for a picturesque & romantic proposal location! Make sure to check out the Kapalua Coastal Trail that runs along the beach’s sand dunes.
- Kapalua Bay Beach: This particular beach won “America’s Best Beach” in 2018 with its gentle breaking waves and vibrant marine life.
Maui’s South Shore is known for its white sandy beaches, snorkeling at its reefs, and expansive lava fields. Here are our favorite Maui proposal spots for this region:
- Molokini Crater: This crescent-shaped crater rises 160 ft up off the west coast of Maui. A site of spectacular beauty awaits snorkelers due to a volcanic eruption that occurred some 230 thousand years ago. Want to try to pull off an underwater proposal? Check out the pictures from one of the proposals we captured here!
- Po’Olenalena Beach, Makena is a very popular spot for sunset beach weddings, but it is very long and expansive, meaning there is space for everyone. There are a variety of great proposal spots, but we love the Keawe grove to the right of the parking lot.
- Maalaea is wonderful with how it is right in the middle of the island beside the ocean. This makes it great for seeing whales and it is convenient for venturing to other places on the island. However, the winds do pick up in the afternoon, which is why the harbor there is nicknamed “the wild side”.
- Wailua Falls: Iconic and popular 80 ft waterfall off a highway with a parking lot & a swimming pond.
Up Country Region
Most people only pass through this area en route to the summit of Haleakala, but it has some of the best panoramic views on the island. The Kula Lavender Farm is very close to the Haleakala National Park, and offers a beautiful and romantic setting for a Maui proposal!
Below we list out all our favorite proposal spots in this region of Maui that is most known for its Road To Hana drive that curves along the coastline. This district is largely undeveloped and is renowned for the lush rural scenery.
Private Places to Propose in Hawaii
Maybe you are looking for more intimate Hawaii engagement ideas? Or you may prefer something simple yet creative? Finding a proposal spot in Hawaii that is private, quiet, and intimate can be challenging. Here’s some ideas to get you started!
Ideas for a private proposal in Hawaii:
- Private picnic in a quiet area of a park
- Cater a private dinner and celebration at a luxury Airbnb
- Rent a boat for a proposal while you cruise on the water
- Book a private table at your restaurant of choice
- Take a private cooking class and propose at dessert
How to Hire a Hawaii Proposal Photographer
The moment you reach for the ring, adrenaline and emotions start to kick in and you might not even remember the moment! Hiring a secret Hawaii proposal photographer for your surprise engagement will allow you to capture and relive that moment again and again.
Your marriage proposal is a story you will never tire of telling, so it definitely deserves better than selfies! Capture it with Hawaii proposal photography that you’ll look back on for years to come.
How does a proposal photoshoot work?
Before choosing a photographer, we recommend having some Hawaii proposal ideas in mind first! There are two ways a proposal photoshoot usually happens:
- Hire the photographer for a “normal” photoshoot with your partner, but let the photographer in on your secret proposal plan! This is the best way to ensure the photographer captures the moment perfectly, usually at a closer distance and better positioned.
- The photographer can be waiting at the designated spot to secretly capture the moment, paparazzi-style. After the big moment, the photographer can introduce themselves and proceed to capture that post-engagement glow.
After your photo shoot is booked, you will be able to plan and coordinate with your photographer directly.
What’s included in an Hawaii proposal package?
With every engagement photography package, you’ll get high-resolution engagement photos that are professionally edited and delivered by email in a private online gallery within 5 business days. In your gallery, you will be able to see all the photos from your proposal shoot and get to download a certain number of your favorites, depending on your package.
With each Hawaii proposal package you’ll receive:
- one-on-one planning with your photographer
- photos of the big moment and post-engagement
- private online gallery
- high-resolution photos that are professionally edited
- photos delivered within 5 days
How much does an Hawaii proposal photographer cost?
We have photographers on our team that specialize in proposal and engagement photoshoots. Check out our list of the best Hawaii proposal photographers to see pricing, compare portfolios, read customer reviews, and check date availability.
Our proposal packages are simple and easy. Below are our 3 different Hawaii proposal packages & pricing: