Los Angeles Proposal Ideas: Best Places for an Epic Engagement
If you are proposing in LA, there are many locations to choose from! The observatory is a great choice for golden hour glow and endless views, or if you want cliffside beaches look no further than El Matador! Coming up with great Los Angeles proposal ideas and planning the details may feel like a challenge… there are just so many beautiful places to choose from! But don’t let all the details overwhelm you. The most important thing is that your proposal reflects you both as a couple, no matter how casual or grandeur it is.
Whether your style is uber-romantic, unique and eccentric, or private and intimate, we have some great suggestions to help you pick the perfect (and most photogenic!) proposal spot. Below we list some of our favorite marriage proposal ideas, the best places to propose in Los Angeles, as well as our tips on hiring a proposal photographer to capture it all.
- Griffith Park
- Beverly Gardens Park
- El Matador Beach
- Inspiration Point
- With a View of the Hollywood Sign
- Santa Monica Pier
- Marina Del Ray
- The Art District
- Private Places to Propose in Los Angeles
Los Angeles Proposal Ideas
We’ve helped so many couples just like you plan and capture this momentous occasion, so we’d like to think we have learned a thing or two along the way. Allow us to give you some pointers.
Your proposal moment is not the best time to wing it. You want your future fiance to feel like some serious thought went into it – it’s a big deal! You have probably already been stressing about the big moment, but take a deep breath and start with our 4 tips to pulling off the perfect Los Angeles proposal:
- Choose a special location. Our favorite places to propose in Los Angeles are listed below! You have probably already daydreamed about the big moment, and it’s important to imagine the type of proposal you want to have – romantic, intimate, adventurous, unique, or casual. Most importantly, your proposal should reflect you both as a couple. Once you have your proposal vibe in mind, you can start thinking about locations.
- Ensuring that your proposal remains a complete surprise is all about having a solid backstory. If you are going somewhere you wouldn’t normally go, make sure you have a story in place to explain why you are going there.
- Consider hiring a secret proposal photographer to snap professional photos of the special moment. Tell your photographer all your proposal ideas and goals, and they can help you plan the location, where to stand, and the ideal time for the best photos. On the big day, your photographer can be ready at the designated spot to capture the moment, paparazzi-style. If your partner has no idea that the proposal is coming, you’ll capture all the joy, the tears, and most importantly, the yes!
- Practice getting down on one knee beforehand and think about what you will say. You don’t need to have your speech memorized, but spend a little time jotting down what you’d like to say. Stick to an idea, not a script. Of course, don’t forget to finish with: Will you marry me?
Best Places to Propose in Los Angeles
Choosing a gorgeous destination is a great way to start, so you are already on the right track! We see a lot of engagements every week and know the best places to propose in Los Angeles. Check out our list below to start getting some Los Angeles proposal ideas.
Modern art deco architecture and twinkling lights set the romantic mood, making it one of the best places to propose in LA. It is an LA landmark and was even featured in the La La Land movie… “City of stars, are you shining just for me?”
A Griffith Park proposal offers unobstructed scenic views of the LA basin, Hollywood sign, and the Pacific Ocean. It has a little bit of everything – a planetarium, exhibits, special events, public telescopes, a cafe, and a bookstore. Admission is free, and but there is a parking fee.
Beverly Gardens Park
This park on Sunset Boulevard is home to the famous Beverly Hills sign, and it is one of the best parks in the city. It is the perfect place for an adorable picnic proposal in Los Angeles!
El Matador Beach
This is definitely one of our favorite places to propose in Los Angeles. Explore the sea coves, unique rock formations, and caves of this beautiful area in Malibu.
Fun fact: parts of the movie The Notebook were filmed here. If this proposal spot is good enough for Ryan Gosling, it’s good enough for us!
Inspiration Point is a fun hiking trail that only takes about 30 minutes to get to the top. Once there, you’ll be rewarded with amazing sunset views over the city, making it a great Los Angeles proposal spot. There is also a network of connected hiking trails that go back further into the Santa Monica mountains, in case you’d like to do some more exploring.
With a View of the Hollywood Sign
Few things are more LA iconic than the Hollywood sign. Although you can no longer can hike up to the actual sign, there is a trail on Mt. Hollywood near the Griffith Observatory that offers great views!
Santa Monica Pier
Although it marks the end of Route 66, it may be the start of your next life chapter! Santa Monica Pier features iconic lifeguard stands and a charming theme park pier. Rides and attractions are priced individually and range in price from $5-10.
The Pacific Wheel was cited by USA Today as one of the most romantic places in Los Angeles, so you may want to pop the question at the very top of the Ferris wheel with a view of the sun setting into the Pacific ocean!
The places to propose opportunities are endless – from a sunset proposal at the end of the pier, to bending the knee underneath the pillars, to popping the question at one of the local restaurants. You can also pack a picnic for an evening on the lawn seating area of the Hollywood Bowl concert venue.
Marina Del Ray
Take a lovely sunset gondola ride around the canals, and you can even hire musicians to ride along with you to set the mood.
The Art District
The Arts District in Downtown Los Angeles is full of murals and art everywhere you look. Walk up & down the streets and alleyways and you’re guaranteed to find something that’ll catch your eye!
Private Places to Propose in Los Angeles
Maybe you are looking for more intimate Los Angeles engagement ideas? Or you may prefer something simple yet creative? Finding a proposal spot in Los Angeles that is private, quiet, and intimate can be challenging, but here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Private picnic in a quiet area of a park.
- Cater a private dinner and celebration at a luxury Airbnb.
- Rent a scooter, motorcycle, or maybe even a boat to cruise around until you find the perfect engagement spot.
- Book a private table at your restaurant of choice and get help from the staff to pull it off.
How to Hire a Los Angeles Proposal Photographer
The moment you reach for the ring, adrenaline and emotions start to kick in and you might not even remember the moment! Hiring a secret Los Angeles proposal photographer for your surprise engagement will allow you to capture and relive that moment again and again.
Your marriage proposal is a story you will never tire of telling, so it definitely deserves better than selfies! Capture it with Los Angeles proposal photography that you’ll look back on for years to come.
How does a proposal photoshoot work?
Before choosing a photographer, we recommend having some Los Angeles proposal ideas in mind first! There are two ways a proposal photoshoot usually happens:
- Hire the photographer for a “normal” photoshoot with your partner, but let the photographer in on your secret proposal plan! This is the best way to ensure the photographer captures the moment perfectly, usually at a closer distance and better positioned.
- The photographer can be waiting at the designated spot to secretly capture the moment, paparazzi-style. After the big moment, the photographer can introduce themselves and proceed to capture that post-engagement glow.
After your photo shoot is booked, you will be able to plan and coordinate with your photographer directly.
What’s included in a Los Angeles proposal package?
With every proposal photography package, you’ll get high-resolution engagement photos that are professionally edited and delivered by email in a private online gallery within 5 business days. In your gallery, you will be able to see all the photos from your proposal photoshoot and get to download a certain number of your favorites, depending on your package. It also includes:
- one-on-one planning with your proposal photographer
- photos of the big moment and post-engagement
- private online gallery
- high-resolution photos that are professionally edited
- photos delivered within 5 days
How much does a Los Angeles proposal photographer cost?
We have photographers on our team that specialize in capturing proposals and engagement photoshoots. Check out our list of the best Los Angeles proposal photographers to see pricing, compare portfolios, read customer reviews, and check date availability.
Below are our 3 different Los Angeles proposal packages & pricing: