Puerto Vallarta Proposal Ideas: Best Places for an Epic Engagement
Puerto Vallarta is a popular place to propose – we help capture multiple engagements here per week! Coming up with great Puerto Vallarta proposal ideas and planning the details may feel like a challenge… there are just so many beautiful places to choose from! But don’t let all the details overwhelm you. The most important thing is that your proposal reflects you both as a couple, no matter how casual or grandeur it is.
Whether your style is uber-romantic, unique and eccentric, or private and intimate, we have some great suggestions to help you pick the perfect (and most photogenic!) proposal spot. Below we list some of our favorite marriage proposal ideas, the best places to propose in Puerto Vallarta, as well as our tips on hiring a proposal photographer to capture it all.
- Puerto Vallarta Proposal Ideas
- Best Places to Propose in Puerto Vallarta
- How to Hire a Puerto Vallarta Proposal Photographer
Puerto Vallarta Proposal Ideas
We’ve helped so many couples just like you plan and capture this momentous occasion, so we’d like to think we have learned a thing or two along the way. Allow us to give you some pointers.
Your proposal moment is not the best time to wing it. You want your future fiance to feel like some serious thought went into it – it’s a big deal! You have probably already been stressing about the big moment, but take a deep breath and start with our 4 tips to pulling off the perfect Puerto Vallarta proposal:
- Choose a special location. Our favorite places to propose in Puerto Vallarta are listed below! You have probably already daydreamed about the big moment, and it’s important to imagine the type of proposal you want to have – romantic, intimate, adventurous, unique, or casual. Most importantly, your proposal should reflect you both as a couple. Once you have your proposal vibe in mind, you can start thinking about locations.
- Ensuring that your proposal remains a complete surprise is all about having a solid backstory. If you are going somewhere you wouldn’t normally go, make sure you have a story in place to explain why you are going there.
- Consider hiring a secret proposal photographer to snap professional photos of the special moment. Tell your photographer all your proposal ideas and goals, and they can help you plan the location, where to stand, and the ideal time for the best photos. On the big day, your photographer can be ready at the designated spot to capture the moment, paparazzi-style. If your partner has no idea that the proposal is coming, you’ll capture all the joy, the tears, and most importantly, the yes!
- Practice getting down on one knee beforehand and think about what you will say. You don’t need to have your speech memorized, but spend a little time jotting down what you’d like to say. Stick to an idea, not a script. Of course, don’t forget to finish with: Will you marry me?
Humpback Whale Watching
One of the best things to do in Puerto Vallarta is seeing the majestic Humpback Whales each winter. Between 300 and 500 Humpback Whales are registered in the area each year between December – March, and you can see them breaching out of the water from your boat. There are multiple companies that offer this tour in a group or you can get a private whale watching tour. This would be a great opportunity to pop the question!
Baby Sea Turtles
Banderas Bay is one of the most important breeding grounds for multiple species of sea turtles. The main season is between June – December, but it happens all year round. Take your sweetheart to a Baby Sea Turtle Release and you can propose in the middle of all the excitement!
A great idea for the adventurous couple would be to go snorkeling at Los Arcos & Majahuitas. It is a huge rock formation to the south of downtown. The scenery is beautiful and you can catch glimpses of Blue-footed Boobies, Humpback Whales (seasonal), dolphins, stingrays, pufferfish, and so many colorful fish! Pro tip: take a piece of bread and the fish will go crazy and you’ll be surrounded. That would be a great moment to pull out your engagement ring, but be careful not to drop it!
Rent a Scooter
If you would like something more private for your marriage proposal, you could rent a scooter to go sightseeing around the bay. There are many great routes:
- Take the curvy highway south which follows the coastline towards Conchas Chinas, Mismaloya, and Boca de Tomatlan.
- Head North towards Bucerias, Sayulita, and San Pancho.
- Grab the East highway towards the charming town of San Sebastian.
For an adrenaline-packed proposal, consider skydiving! Imagine a 20-minute flight with the beautiful backdrop of the Pacific Ocean and Sierra Madre Mountains, and then jumping out at 12,500 ft for the most epic surprise marriage proposal ever! The team at the Skydive Vallarta dropzone has over 12,000 jumps and over 20 years of experience, and they’ll be able to help with planning your engagement.
Dwahnil contacted us to help plan and capture his surprise proposal to Shama in Puerto Vallarta.
“I did not have a specific location in mind, but I knew I wanted to do it on a beach with a beautiful view and perhaps in a quieter area. Local Lens was a great help with choosing a location, and that spot was perfect!”
Due to being on the west coast, the sunsets are stunning in Puerto Vallarta. Here are our top picks for the best sunset spots:
- Garza Blanca Beach
- La Palapa – a very popular proposal spot!
- Calle Galeana – Climb the steep steps to the top and you will have a great view of Puerto Vallarta.
- El Malecon
- Vista Grill – a restaurant with a great view, but engagement photos can be challenging if you plan on proposing here.
Best Places to Propose in Puerto Vallarta
Choosing a gorgeous destination is a great way to start, so you are already on the right track! We see a lot of engagements every week and know the best places to propose in Puerto Vallarta. Check out our list below to start getting some Puerto Vallarta proposal ideas.
Another option would be Monkey Mountain. It is off-the-beaten-path but totally worth it! Grab a taxi past Punta Mita all the way to Litibu Beach. The hike takes about 1.5 hrs each way, and you can propose on the top of the mountain with an amazing 360° view of coastline and jungles!
Take a private tour to the famous Playa del Amor (the Beach of Love) at Las Marietas Islands. Explore this group of small uninhabited islands while snorkeling, kayaking, or paddleboarding. In order to reach the hidden beach you have to swim through a cave formation and rock archways, so it all adds to the excitement! We can easily help you book a private tour, or you can charter a boat from one of the marinas in La Cruz and Punta Mita.
Take a water taxi out from Boca de Tomatlan to Yelapa. It is a tiny fishing village with a gorgeous, secluded bay and is still relatively untouched by tourism. There is a hike all the way to a beautiful waterfall, which would be the perfect spot for a marriage proposal.
Vallarta Botanical Gardens
For the nature-loving couple, check out the Vallarta Botanical Gardens which is tucked into the Sierra Madre Mountains. For a more private proposal, we suggest going in the morning and then stopping at Playa las Gemelas on the way back. This is a great spot to have an engagement photoshoot, and then in the middle of the photo session, you could pop the questions!
Sail into the Sunset
Rent a private sailboat and propose onboard! With no motor noise to scare the marine life away, you’ll see dolphins, manta rays, colorful tropical fish, and sea turtles. Afterward, sail into the sunset as newly-engaged fiances. It is hard to get any more romantic than that. Along the way, the crew can give you sailing lessons as well, if you would both like to learn! This is definitely one of the best places to propose in Puerto Vallarta.
The 3 Beach Hike
Another great idea would be to go on a hike. Our favorite hike in the bay starts in Boca de Tomatlan and goes all the way to Las Animas and Quimixto. Mid-way there is an amazing restaurant called Ocean Grill with the most romantic views and delicious seafood. This would be a great restaurant for your proposal. Make a reservation online and ask to be given the best table, the one with an ocean view with Playa Colomitos in the background. If you would like to propose at a different beach, check out our list of the 7 best beaches in Puerto Vallarta!
Private Places to Propose in Puerto Vallarta
Maybe you are looking for more intimate Puerto Vallarta engagement ideas? Or you may prefer something simple yet creative? Finding a proposal spot in Puerto Vallarta that is private, quiet, and intimate can be challenging, but here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Private picnic in a quiet area of a park.
- Cater a private dinner and celebration at a luxury Airbnb.
- Rent a scooter, motorcycle, or maybe even a boat to cruise around until you find the perfect engagement spot.
- Book a private table at your restaurant of choice and get help from the staff to pull it off.
How to Hire a Puerto Vallarta Proposal Photographer
The moment you reach for the ring, adrenaline and emotions start to kick in and you might not even remember the moment! Hiring a secret Puerto Vallarta proposal photographer for your surprise engagement will allow you to capture and relive that moment again and again.
Your marriage proposal is a story you will never tire of telling, so it definitely deserves better than selfies! Capture it with Puerto Vallarta proposal photography that you’ll look back on for years to come.
How does a proposal photoshoot work?
Before choosing a photographer, we recommend having some Puerto Vallarta proposal ideas in mind first! There are two ways a proposal photoshoot usually happens:
- Hire the photographer for a “normal” photoshoot with your partner, but let the photographer in on your secret proposal plan! This is the best way to ensure the photographer captures the moment perfectly, usually at a closer distance and better positioned.
- The photographer can be waiting at the designated spot to secretly capture the moment, paparazzi-style. After the big moment, the photographer can introduce themselves and proceed to capture that post-engagement glow.
After your photo shoot is booked, you will be able to plan and coordinate with your photographer directly.
What’s included in a Puerto Vallarta proposal package?
With every proposal photography package, you’ll get high-resolution engagement photos that are professionally edited and delivered by email in a private online gallery within 5 business days. In your gallery, you will be able to see all the photos from your proposal photoshoot and get to download a certain number of your favorites, depending on your package. It also includes:
- one-on-one planning with your proposal photographer
- photos of the big moment and post-engagement
- private online gallery
- high-resolution photos that are professionally edited
- photos delivered within 5 days
How much does a Puerto Vallarta proposal photographer cost?
We have photographers on our team that specialize in capturing proposals and engagement photoshoots. Check out our list of the best Puerto Vallarta proposal photographers to see pricing, compare portfolios, read customer reviews, and check date availability.
Below are our 3 different Puerto Vallarta proposal packages & pricing: