Rockefeller Center Proposal Ideas: Top of the Rock, Ice Skating, & Christmas Engagement
There’s nothing quite like NYC during the holidays. Starting with Thanksgiving, the festive holiday season is the most popular time for a proposal. We don’t know if it’s the sparkling lights, cooler weather, or festivities with friends and family that create the charm for a marriage proposal, but for whatever reason New York City is bustling with love this time of year. Rockefeller Center Ice Rink and the Christmas tree create a romantic and iconic backdrop for a marriage proposal in New York City. It is one of the most classic places to propose in New York. There are various packages to choose from, and we’ve got the lowdown on how to propose at Rockefeller Center.
Rockefeller Center Proposal Locations
Below are the 3 best spots for a Rockefeller Center proposal:
Top of the Rock Proposal
With one of the best views in New York City, a Top of the Rock proposal is hard to beat, especially at sunset! While many may capture a proposal with a selfie, others will hire a photographer for their marriage proposal with an epic backdrop of New York City. General admission tickets are $38 and VIP priority access is $75 per person. If you opt to hire a photographer, you’ll have to purchase their entrance ticket as well.
Here are a few other tips if you are considering a proposal at the Top of the Rock:
- The observation deck has 3 different levels.
- Depending on the time you planning to propose it might be very crowded. If you want to avoid the crowds, go in the morning as soon as it opens (10 am) or in the evening after sunset.
- There is a security check with a metal detector, and you will be asked to take everything out of your pockets. Keep this in mind in case you have the ring box in your pocket!
- This location is a little tricky to capture in a photo, so if you really want to have pictures of this special moment, you absolutely need to hire an experienced proposal photographer.
Rockefeller Christmas Tree Proposal
The tree is a holiday icon across the USA and is a magical spot to propose. Though it is not the most private spot, the sparkling lights and cheering of onlookers will make your moment special. The area gets more crowded as Christmas approaches and all through New Year’s. All December and during the first week of January the tree is lit from 5:30 am to 11:30 pm daily, and through 9 pm on January 7. Head to Morrell Wine Bar & Café perfectly situated on the Plaza for a celebratory drink afterward.
Your proposal photographer will arrive early to clear an area for your proposal in front of the tree. The best time to propose at the Rockefeller Christmas tree is around 4 pm when the sun is soft but the lights still twinkle. Try to avoid nighttime since photos are more difficult to capture without flash, and that is not a look you want. See New York proposal photographers to capture the moment.
Engagement on Ice Proposal Packages
Be ready for a big romantic moment and an enthusiastic audience! The Christmas tree is lit until January 7th, but the rink stays open through April. There are multiple packages to choose from, just make sure you practice getting down on one knee in skates! Also, if you want to capture it all, your proposal photographer can be on the side of the rink awaiting your big moment with a zoom lens. The photographer is not allowed on the rink unless they get a special ticket. See New York proposal photographer packages.
Classic – $425 USD
- Two VIP skating tickets, including skate rental
- Your choice of song
Silver – $925 USD
- 6 Hour limo rental
- Skate passes for two that allow you to skip the line
- Stay on the rink at the end of your skating session so that it is just you two on the rink
- Play your favorite song during the proposal – you provide the CD
- Champagne toast ringside
Gold – $1075 USD
Everything in the Silver package, plus:
- A bottle of nice champagne with two flutes, gift wrapped, and ready for you to toast when you choose.
Platinum – $1575 USD
Everything in the Gold and Silver package, plus:
- Rinkside seating overlooking your magical proposal place
- A dozen roses waiting for you at your table
- Five course tasing menu
- A leather-bound photo frame embossed with The Rink for two photos
Private Package – $1300 USD
- Arrive before the rink opens or after the rink closes for a private 30-minute skate for you and up to 10 guests
- Your choice of your own song
How to Hire an NYC Proposal Photographer
The moment you reach for the ring, adrenaline and emotions start to kick in and you might not even remember the moment! Hiring a secret NYC proposal photographer for your surprise engagement will allow you to capture and relive that moment again and again.
Your marriage proposal is a story you will never tire of telling, so it definitely deserves better than selfies! Capture it with New York City proposal photography that you’ll look back on for years to come.
How does a proposal photoshoot work?
Before choosing a photographer, we recommend having some NYC proposal ideas in mind first! There are two ways a proposal photoshoot usually happens:
- Hire the photographer for a “normal” photoshoot with your partner, but let the photographer in on your secret proposal plan! This is the best way to ensure the photographer captures the moment perfectly, usually at a closer distance and better positioned.
- The photographer can be waiting at the designated spot to secretly capture the moment, paparazzi-style. You will want to make sure that you are positioned in a way that the photographer captures your partner’s face and their reaction. After the big moment, the photographer will introduce themselves and you can enjoy an engagement shoot after to capture that post-engagement glow.
After your photo shoot is booked, you will be able to plan and coordinate with your photographer directly.
What’s included in an NYC proposal package?
With every engagement photography package, you’ll get high-resolution engagement photos that are professionally edited and delivered by email in a private online gallery within 5 business days. In your gallery, you will be able to see all the photos from your proposal shoot and get to download a certain number of your favorites, depending on your package.
With each NYC proposal package you’ll receive:
- one-on-one planning with your photographer
- photos of the big moment and post-engagement
- private online gallery
- high-resolution photos that are professionally edited
- photos delivered within 5 days
How much does an NYC proposal photographer cost?
We have photographers on our team that specialize in proposal and engagement photoshoots. Check out our list of the best NYC proposal photographers to see pricing, compare portfolios, read customer reviews, and check date availability.
Below are our 3 different New York City proposal packages & pricing: