New Orleans Proposal Ideas: Best Places for an Epic Engagement
New Orleans is a popular place to propose – we help capture multiple engagements here per week! Coming up with great New Orleans proposal ideas and planning the details may feel like a challenge… there are just so many beautiful places to choose from! But don’t let all the details overwhelm you. The most important thing is that your proposal reflects you both as a couple, no matter how casual or grandeur it is.
Whether your style is uber-romantic, unique and eccentric, or private and intimate, we have some great suggestions to help you pick the perfect (and most photogenic!) proposal spot. Below we list some of our favorite marriage proposal ideas, the best places to propose in New Orleans, as well as our tips on hiring a proposal photographer to capture it all.
- New Orleans Proposal Ideas
- Best Places to Propose in New Orleans
- How to Hire a New Orleans Proposal Photographer
New Orleans Proposal Ideas
We’ve helped so many couples just like you plan and capture this momentous occasion, so we’d like to think we have learned a thing or two along the way. Allow us to give you some pointers.
Your proposal moment is not the best time to wing it. You want your future fiance to feel like some serious thought went into it – it’s a big deal! You have probably already been stressing about the big moment, but take a deep breath and start with our 4 tips to pulling off the perfect New Orleans proposal:
- Choose a special location. Our favorite places to propose in New Orleans are listed below! You have probably already daydreamed about the big moment, and it’s important to imagine the type of proposal you want to have – romantic, intimate, adventurous, unique, or casual. Most importantly, your proposal should reflect you both as a couple. Once you have your proposal vibe in mind, you can start thinking about locations.
- Ensuring that your proposal remains a complete surprise is all about having a solid backstory. If you are going somewhere you wouldn’t normally go, make sure you have a story in place to explain why you are going there.
- Consider hiring a secret proposal photographer to snap professional photos of the special moment. Tell your photographer all your proposal ideas and goals, and they can help you plan the location, where to stand, and the ideal time for the best photos. On the big day, your photographer can be ready at the designated spot to capture the moment, paparazzi-style. If your partner has no idea that the proposal is coming, you’ll capture all the joy, the tears, and most importantly, the yes!
- Practice getting down on one knee beforehand and think about what you will say. You don’t need to have your speech memorized, but spend a little time jotting down what you’d like to say. Stick to an idea, not a script. Of course, don’t forget to finish with: Will you marry me?
Best Places to Propose in New Orleans
Choosing a gorgeous destination is a great way to start, so you are already on the right track! We see a lot of engagements every week and know the best places to propose in New Orleans. Check out our list below to start getting some New Orleans proposal ideas.
This square may be the most iconic landmark in New Orleans, and it is in the middle of the French Quarter. Jackson Square is the site where Louisiana became part of the United States in 1803 as part of the Louisiana Purchase. Today, it’s one of the top tourist destinations and for good reason — just look how beautiful it is!
With the whimsical St. Louis Cathedral in the background, it will make you feel like you’re in a fairy-tale. On the other side of Jackson Square you’ll find Washington Artillery Park, which has the best view of the St. Louis Cathedral! Pop the question, then grab some beignets right across the street at Café du Monde!
Some of the most historic homes in NOLA are in the Garden District. The neighborhood is full of charm with 19th-century mansions, sprawling front porches, beautiful gardens, antique gas lamps, and cementeries.
NOLA City Park
The park area between the New Orleans Museum of Art and the Sculpture Garden is beautiful. Some highlights of the park are its oak trees, which are centuries old! The Langles Bridge in NOLA city park makes for a great outdoor New Orleans proposal. It is one of three old stone bridges in the park, and it was built around 1902.
The French Quarter
The French Quarter is the city’s historic heart, famous for its vibrant nightlife and colorful buildings with cast-iron balconies. It is the quintessential New Orleans aesthetic. The best New Orleans proposal spots in this district are on its magnificent street corners.
One of our favorite corners are Bourbon Street & St. Ann Street. If you’re looking for an iconic balcony in the French quarter, go to the corner of Royal Street and St. Peter Street! If that corner is too crowded, head north on Royal Street for an equally gorgeous balcony!
Mule-drawn carriages line up on the Decatur side of Jackson Square offering city tours filled with colorful commentary. You can also grab horse-drawn carriages for a ride down Magazine Street!
Private Places to Propose in New Orleans
Maybe you are looking for more intimate New Orleans engagement ideas? Or you may prefer something simple yet creative? Finding a proposal spot in New Orleans that is private, quiet, and intimate can be challenging, but here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Private picnic in a quiet area of a park.
- Cater a private dinner and celebration at a luxury Airbnb.
- Rent a scooter, motorcycle, or maybe even a boat to cruise around until you find the perfect engagement spot.
- Book a private table at your restaurant of choice and get help from the staff to pull it off.
How to Hire a New Orleans Proposal Photographer
The moment you reach for the ring, adrenaline and emotions start to kick in and you might not even remember the moment! Hiring a secret New Orleans proposal photographer for your surprise engagement will allow you to capture and relive that moment again and again.
Your marriage proposal is a story you will never tire of telling, so it definitely deserves better than selfies! Capture it with New Orleans proposal photography that you’ll look back on for years to come.
How does a proposal photoshoot work?
Before choosing a photographer, we recommend having some New Orleans proposal ideas in mind first! There are two ways a proposal photoshoot usually happens:
- Hire the photographer for a “normal” photoshoot with your partner, but let the photographer in on your secret proposal plan! This is the best way to ensure the photographer captures the moment perfectly, usually at a closer distance and better positioned.
- The photographer can be waiting at the designated spot to secretly capture the moment, paparazzi-style. After the big moment, the photographer can introduce themselves and proceed to capture that post-engagement glow.
After your photo shoot is booked, you will be able to plan and coordinate with your photographer directly.
What’s included in a New Orleans proposal package?
With every proposal photography package, you’ll get high-resolution engagement photos that are professionally edited and delivered by email in a private online gallery within 5 business days. In your gallery, you will be able to see all the photos from your proposal photoshoot and get to download a certain number of your favorites, depending on your package. It also includes:
- one-on-one planning with your proposal photographer
- photos of the big moment and post-engagement
- private online gallery
- high-resolution photos that are professionally edited
- photos delivered within 5 days
How much does a New Orleans proposal photographer cost?
We have photographers on our team that specialize in capturing proposals and engagement photoshoots. Check out our list of the best New Orleans proposal photographers to see pricing, compare portfolios, read customer reviews, and check date availability.
Below are our 3 different New Orleans proposal packages & pricing: