Isla Mujeres Proposal: Best Places for an Epic Cancun Engagement
Isla Mujeres is a popular place to propose – we help capture multiple engagements here per week! Coming up with great Isla Mujeres proposal ideas and planning the details may feel like a challenge… there are just so many beautiful places to choose from! But don’t let all the details overwhelm you. The most important thing is that your proposal reflects you both as a couple, no matter how casual or grandeur it is.
Whether your style is uber-romantic, unique and eccentric, or private and intimate, we have some great suggestions to help you pick the perfect (and most photogenic!) proposal spot. Below we list some of our favorite marriage proposal ideas, the best places to propose in Isla Mujeres, as well as our tips on hiring a proposal photographer to capture it all.
Isla Mujeres Proposal Ideas
We’ve helped so many couples just like you plan and capture this momentous occasion, so we’d like to think we have learned a thing or two along the way. Allow us to give you some pointers.
Your proposal moment is not the best time to wing it. You want your future fiance to feel like some serious thought went into it – it’s a big deal! You have probably already been stressing about the big moment, but take a deep breath and start with our 4 tips to pulling off the perfect Isla Mujeres proposal:
- Choose a special location. Our favorite places to propose in Isla Mujeres are listed below! You have probably already daydreamed about the big moment, and it’s important to imagine the type of proposal you want to have – romantic, intimate, adventurous, unique, or casual. Most importantly, your proposal should reflect you both as a couple. Once you have your proposal vibe in mind, you can start thinking about locations.
- Ensuring that your proposal remains a complete surprise is all about having a solid backstory. If you are going somewhere you wouldn’t normally go, make sure you have a story in place to explain why you are going there.
- Consider hiring a secret proposal photographer to snap professional photos of the special moment. Tell your photographer all your proposal ideas and goals, and they can help you plan the location, where to stand, and the ideal time for the best photos. On the big day, your photographer can be ready at the designated spot to capture the moment, paparazzi-style. If your partner has no idea that the proposal is coming, you’ll capture all the joy, the tears, and most importantly, the yes!
- Practice getting down on one knee beforehand and think about what you will say. You don’t need to have your speech memorized, but spend a little time jotting down what you’d like to say. Stick to an idea, not a script. Of course, don’t forget to finish with: Will you marry me?
Best Places to Propose in Isla Mujeres
If you are brainstorming for the best proposal ideas, Isla Mujeres is definitely the best place to propose in Cancun… at least in our opinion. The island is one of the best excursions from Cancun. Simply grab a ferry across the turquoise waters and enjoy exploring the island by foot or by scooter. The beaches are pristine, and the water is ideal for calm swimming and snorkeling.
This beach is the best (and most popular) on Isla Mujeres. Soft, white sand and turquoise-blue waters greet you and set the perfect scene for sunbathing, swimming and relaxation. You’ve also got easy access to bars and restaurants, plus watersports rentals. All in all, Playa Norte well deserves its high-profile reputation as a prominent Isla Mujeres strand.
Cliff of the Dawn
No beach here, but epic cliffsides and crystal turquoise waters create a stunning proposal backdrop!
Iconic pier stretching across the glassy water, with a palapa gazebo at the end.
Book a private table at your restaurant of choice and get help from the staff to pull it off.
- Rosa Sirena – Has a view and is a casual beach spot
- Cafe del Mar – At Privilege Aluxes. Get your own palapa in the sand and your own serving staff. Tiki torches complete the romantic atmosphere.
- Zoetry – Romantic dinner and a view!
- Casa Rolandi – Deck overlooking the water.
- Sunset Grill – Simple beachside dining.
Private Places to Propose in Isla Mujeres
Maybe you are looking for more intimate Isla Mujeres engagement ideas? Or you may prefer something simple yet creative? Finding a proposal spot in Isla Mujeres that is private, quiet, and intimate can be challenging, but here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Private picnic on the beach.
- Cater a private dinner and celebration at a luxury Airbnb.
- Rent a scooter or maybe even a boat to cruise around until you find the perfect engagement spot.
Ferry Departure Points
Gran Puerto Cancun
This is newest. The Ultramar ferry that runs out of this port is very new, air-conditioned and comfortable. The ride over takes about 15 minutes. Every half-hour from 5:30AM to 9:30PM. $70 Pesos
A high-speed ferry, the Magana is the same price as Ultramar and also takes about 15 minutes. Every half-hour from 5:30AM to 9:30PM. $70 Pesos
The only car ferry to Isla Mujeres, and offers a slower, smoother ride, taking about 45 minutes. Departures are at 8:00AM – 11:00AM – 2:45PM – 5:30PM – 8:15PM. $14 pesos per person or $185 pesos per vehicle.
Cancun Hotel Zone
- Embarcadero Pier at Km 4 (9:00 AM – 10:30 AM – 12:00 PM – 1:30 PM – 2:30 PM – 4:30 PM)
- Playa Tortugas at Km 7 (9:00 AM – 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM – 12:00 PM – 1:00 PM – 2:00 PM – 4:00 PM – 5:00 PM)
- Playa Caracol at Km 9.5 (10:10 AM – 11:40 AM – 1:10 PM – 4:50 PM)
All ferries from Cancun Hotel Zone are $11 USD (one-way) or $17 USD (round-trip)
These options are a bit longer, run less frequently, and cost more than Puerto Juarez or Gran Puerto, but for people staying in the hotel zone, it adds a convenient option.
Best Times of Day for Proposals on Isla Mujeres
The morning is nice because the island is less crowded. You’ll get north beach much to yourselves. Try to get a ferry at 8 am or earlier when the weather is nice and you enjoy the rest of the day relaxing and celebrating on Isla Mujeres
The sunsets on Isla Mujeres are legendary. You can follow a beachside sunset proposal with a romantic dinner at many of the nice restaurants on the Island!
Take note! The last ferry from Isla Mujeres is the Gran Puerto ferry at 12 AM or the Puerto Juarez ferry at 11 PM. All other ferries end at 5 pm or 5:30 pm.
How to Hire a Isla Mujeres Proposal Photographer
The moment you reach for the ring, adrenaline and emotions start to kick in and you might not even remember the moment! Hiring a secret Isla Mujeres proposal photographer for your surprise engagement will allow you to capture and relive that moment again and again.
Your marriage proposal is a story you will never tire of telling, so it definitely deserves better than selfies! Capture it with Isla Mujeres proposal photography that you’ll look back on for years to come.
How does a proposal photoshoot work?
Before choosing a photographer, we recommend having some Isla Mujeres proposal ideas in mind first! There are two ways a proposal photoshoot usually happens:
- Hire the photographer for a “normal” photoshoot with your partner, but let the photographer in on your secret proposal plan! This is the best way to ensure the photographer captures the moment perfectly, usually at a closer distance and better positioned.
- The photographer can be waiting at the designated spot to secretly capture the moment, paparazzi-style. After the big moment, the photographer can introduce themselves and proceed to capture that post-engagement glow.
After your photo shoot is booked, you will be able to plan and coordinate with your photographer directly.
What’s included in a Isla Mujeres proposal package?
With every proposal photography package, you’ll get high-resolution engagement photos that are professionally edited and delivered by email in a private online gallery within 5 business days. In your gallery, you will be able to see all the photos from your proposal photoshoot and get to download a certain number of your favorites, depending on your package. It also includes:
- one-on-one planning with your proposal photographer
- photos of the big moment and post-engagement
- private online gallery
- high-resolution photos that are professionally edited
- photos delivered within 5 days
How much does a Isla Mujeres proposal photographer cost?
We have photographers on our team that specialize in capturing proposals and engagement photoshoots. Check out our list of the best Isla Mujeres proposal photographers to see pricing, compare portfolios, read customer reviews, and check date availability.
Below are our 3 different Isla Mujeres proposal packages & pricing:
*Does not include ferry cost for yourself or the photographer.