Machu Picchu Proposal: How to Pull off an Epic Surprise Engagement
How does one pull off a Machu Picchu proposal? Well, you have chosen an epic engagement spot, so you are already on the right track! As proposal photographers, we have helped capture the moment for so many love birds in Peru over the past few years. Therefore, we decided to put together this comprehensive guide to cover everything you need to know before popping the question!
- 1 Machu Picchu Proposal Guide
- 2 Should I hire a Machu Picchu proposal photographer?
Machu Picchu Proposal Guide
You have probably already day-dreamed about the big moment, so get a block of paper and start brainstorming any Machu Picchu proposal ideas that come to mind. The first thing that you have to do is create the perfect scenario that you can turn into a reality.
Things to know before proposing in Machu Picchu
It really is a magical place. You can feel the energy all around you, which makes it a perfect place for an epic proposal. Here are a few tips and suggestions:
- Visit Machu Picchu in the morning. You can now only enter between 6:00 am – 12:00 pm or between 12:00 pm – 5:30 pm. This all depends on the time slot you choose when you buy your ticket. If you’ve purchased the morning entrance, it is highly unlikely they will kick you out at noon. This way you can stay even longer and not feel rushed!
- Bring your passport with you to get it stamped. To commemorate the day of your proposal, you can get a special Machu Picchu stamp in your passport. Just look for a small desk past the entrance or ask a staff member where to find it once you get in.
- Be sure to bring sunblock and bug spray. It’s also a good idea to bring a raincoat and several layers of clothing as it can get chilly in the morning and very hot at midday. Having a small backpack is allowed, but make sure not to bring a bag larger than 40 cm x 35 cm x 20 cm (15.7 inches x 13.7 inches x 7.9 inches) as it will not be allowed.
What is the best spot for a Machu Picchu proposal?
There a few spots where you have beautiful scenery and you have a nice view of the citadel, I was there like a hundred times so I have a good insight knowledge, there are places that are crowded so you have to know where and when.
Are there any alternative places to propose nearby?
- Cusco city by night
- Sacred Valley
Should I hire a Machu Picchu proposal photographer?
Adrenaline starts to rush the second you reach for the ring, and it’s easy to get overwhelmed with emotions… so much so, that some people can’t even remember their engagement moment. Hiring a photographer for your surprise proposal will allow you to capture and relive that moment again and again.
We asked our proposal photographer in Cusco to help answer a few frequently asked questions about capturing a Machu Picchu proposal. Below are his answers:
How do you coordinate the time and meeting point?
When proposing in Machu Picchu, all coordination can be made via WhatsApp or directly through the Local Lens chat. In order to enter the citadel, there are specific time slots so it is easy to set up the exact meeting time.
Regarding the meeting point, there are specific places where we can meet. There is good signage everywhere, so it is nearly impossible to get lost.
Is there a secret signal to give the photographer?
As there are always a lot of people with professional cameras, it is easy for me to blend among them. During the planning process, I ask for pictures of the couple so that I can recognize them on the day of the proposal.
Once I make visual contact with the one who is preparing the surprise, he or she will ask me to take a picture of them with their camera. Then I tell them, “That is a nice spot over there!”
That is the moment of the proposal! After popping the question, we take a walk around for more pictures to capture the post-proposal glow.
Are there any additional costs to be aware of?
I live in Cusco, so there is a travel fee for any photoshoots I do in Machu Picchu. Since it is a full-day trip for me (from 8 am to 10 pm), the total cost is $200 USD. This travel fee covers my cost for transportation from Cusco, the entrance ticket to Machu Picchu, and my meal costs. I travel back to Cusco that very same day after the photoshoot.
How are the proposal photos delivered?
All photos are professionally edited and delivered in a free online private gallery where you can download your favorite photos in high-resolution jpg format. Additional files and high-quality prints from our professional partner labs are also available for purchase. You will receive an email with your gallery link within five business days, but usually sooner.