Venice Proposal Ideas: Best Places for an Epic Engagement
Venice is a popular place to propose – we help capture multiple engagements here per week! Coming up with great Venice proposal ideas and planning the details may feel like a challenge… there are just so many beautiful places to choose from! But don’t let all the details overwhelm you. The most important thing is that your proposal reflects you both as a couple, no matter how casual or grandeur it is.
Whether your style is uber-romantic, unique and eccentric, or private and intimate, we have some great suggestions to help you pick the perfect (and most photogenic!) proposal spot. Below we list some of our favorite marriage proposal ideas, the best places to propose in Venice, as well as our tips on hiring a proposal photographer to capture it all.
- Venice Proposal Ideas
- Best Places to Propose in Venice
- How to Hire a Venice Proposal Photographer
Venice Proposal Ideas
We’ve helped so many couples just like you plan and capture this momentous occasion, so we’d like to think we have learned a thing or two along the way. Allow us to give you some pointers.
Your proposal moment is not the best time to wing it. You want your future fiance to feel like some serious thought went into it – it’s a big deal! You have probably already been stressing about the big moment, but take a deep breath and start with our 4 tips to pulling off the perfect Venice proposal:
- Choose a special location. Our favorite places to propose in Venice are listed below! You have probably already daydreamed about the big moment, and it’s important to imagine the type of proposal you want to have – romantic, intimate, adventurous, unique, or casual. Most importantly, your proposal should reflect you both as a couple. Once you have your proposal vibe in mind, you can start thinking about locations.
- Ensuring that your proposal remains a complete surprise is all about having a solid backstory. If you are going somewhere you wouldn’t normally go, make sure you have a story in place to explain why you are going there.
- Consider hiring a secret proposal photographer to snap professional photos of the special moment. Tell your photographer all your proposal ideas and goals, and they can help you plan the location, where to stand, and the ideal time for the best photos. On the big day, your photographer can be ready at the designated spot to capture the moment, paparazzi-style. If your partner has no idea that the proposal is coming, you’ll capture all the joy, the tears, and most importantly, the yes!
- Practice getting down on one knee beforehand and think about what you will say. You don’t need to have your speech memorized, but spend a little time jotting down what you’d like to say. Stick to an idea, not a script. Of course, don’t forget to finish with: Will you marry me?
Best Places to Propose in Venice
Choosing a gorgeous destination is a great way to start, so you are already on the right track! We see a lot of engagements every week and know the best places to propose in Venice. Check out our list below to start getting some Venice proposal ideas.
Yes, it may be a bit pricey to rent a gondola, but a trip to Venice is incomplete without it. Explore the narrow, quieter waterways and maybe even let your gondolier in on your plan to pull off a Venice proposal. The legend says that if you kiss under the Bridge of Sighs in your gondola at sunset, your future will be blessed with eternal love!
San Marco Plaza
From Saint Marks Basilica to St Mark’s Campanile and Doge’s Palace, you really don’t want to miss this plaza. The Gothic-style structures look like something straight out of a fairy tale. On top of the beautiful architecture on the plaza itself, there is a great Venice proposal spot full of parked gondolas along Riva Degli Schiavone and with San Giorgio Maggiore island in the background.
Dorsoduro is Venice’s university district. The streets around Campo Santa Margherita are filled with unpretentious restaurants, coffee shops, and boutiques. The Basilica di Santa Maria della Salute is also a must-see… it’s one of our favorite buildings in the entire city! Either take a water taxi to the other side of the Grand Canal or you can walk across the Accademia bridge to get here.
Although there are thousands of bridges in Venice, the most iconic may be the Ponte di Rialto. The view from the bridge is perfect for a Venice proposal, especially with all the gondolas and vaporetti passing by.
San Giorgio Maggiore Island
This island is located right in front of St. Mark’s Square, making it the perfect spot for an iconic Venice proposal.
Private Places to Propose in Venice
Maybe you are looking for more intimate Venice engagement ideas? Or you may prefer something simple yet creative? Finding a proposal spot in Venice that is private, quiet, and intimate can be challenging, but here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Propose on one of the many private rooftop terraces called Altanas.
- Cater a private dinner and celebration at a luxury Airbnb.
- Rent a scooter, motorcycle, or maybe even a boat to cruise around until you find the perfect engagement spot.
- Book a private table at your restaurant of choice and get help from the staff to pull it off.
How to Hire a Venice Proposal Photographer
The moment you reach for the ring, adrenaline and emotions start to kick in and you might not even remember the moment! Hiring a secret Venice proposal photographer for your surprise engagement will allow you to capture and relive that moment again and again.
Your marriage proposal is a story you will never tire of telling, so it definitely deserves better than selfies! Capture it with Venice proposal photography that you’ll look back on for years to come.
How does a proposal photoshoot work?
Before choosing a photographer, we recommend having some Venice proposal ideas in mind first! There are two ways a proposal photoshoot usually happens:
- Hire the photographer for a “normal” photoshoot with your partner, but let the photographer in on your secret proposal plan! This is the best way to ensure the photographer captures the moment perfectly, usually at a closer distance and better positioned.
- The photographer can be waiting at the designated spot to secretly capture the moment, paparazzi-style. After the big moment, the photographer can introduce themselves and proceed to capture that post-engagement glow.
After your photo shoot is booked, you will be able to plan and coordinate with your photographer directly.
What’s included in a Venice proposal package?
With every proposal photography package, you’ll get high-resolution engagement photos that are professionally edited and delivered by email in a private online gallery within 5 business days. In your gallery, you will be able to see all the photos from your proposal photoshoot and get to download a certain number of your favorites, depending on your package. It also includes:
- one-on-one planning with your proposal photographer
- photos of the big moment and post-engagement
- private online gallery
- high-resolution photos that are professionally edited
- photos delivered within 5 days
How much does a Venice proposal photographer cost?
We have photographers on our team that specialize in capturing proposals and engagement photoshoots. Check out our list of the best Venice proposal photographers to see pricing, compare portfolios, read customer reviews, and check date availability.
Below are our 3 different Venice proposal packages & pricing: