Cancun Proposal Ideas: Best Places for an Epic Engagement in the Riviera Maya
The Riviera Maya is a popular place to propose – from Holbox, to Cancun, Playa del Carmen, and Tulum – we help capture multiple engagements here per week! Finding a place in Cancun to propose can feel like a challenge, but don’t let all the details overwhelm you. The most important thing is that your proposal reflects you both as a couple, no matter how casual or grandeur it is. Whether you propose on a beach at sunrise, on a cliff at Isla Mujeres, or amonst artful installations in Tulum, there is a perfect Riviera Maya proposal waiting for you!
Whether your style is uber-romantic, unique and eccentric, or private and intimate, we have some great suggestions to help you pick the perfect (and most photogenic!) proposal spot. Below we list some of our favorite Riviera Maya proposal ideas, the best places to propose in Cancun, as well as our tips on hiring a proposal photographer to capture it all.
- Cancun Proposal Ideas in the Riviera Maya
- Best Places to Propose in Cancun
- How to Hire a Cancun Proposal Photographer
Cancun Proposal Ideas in the Riviera Maya
We’ve helped so many couples just like you plan and capture this momentous occasion, so we’d like to think we have learned a thing or two along the way. Allow us to give you some pointers.
Your proposal moment is not the best time to wing it. You want your future fiance to feel like some serious thought went into it – it’s a big deal! You have probably already been stressing about the big moment, but take a deep breath and start with our 5 tips to pulling off the perfect Cancun proposal:
- Choose a special location. Our favorite places to propose in Cancun are listed below! You have probably already daydreamed about the big moment, and it’s important to imagine the type of proposal you want to have – romantic, intimate, adventurous, unique or casual. Most importantly, your proposal should reflect you both as a couple. Once you have your proposal vibe in mind, you can start thinking about locations.
- Ensuring that your proposal remains a complete surprise is all about having a solid backstory. If you are going somewhere you wouldn’t normally go, make sure you have a story in place to explain why you are going there.
- Consider hiring a secret proposal photographer to snap professional photos of the special moment. Tell your photographer all your proposal ideas and goals, and they can help you plan the location, where to stand, and the ideal time for the best photos. On the big day, your photographer can be ready at the designated spot to capture the moment, paparazzi-style. If your partner has no idea that the proposal is coming, you’ll capture all the joy, the tears, and most importantly, the yes!
- Practice getting down on one knee beforehand and think about what you will say. You don’t need to have your speech memorized, but spend a little time jotting down what you’d like to say. Stick to an idea, not a script. Of course, don’t forget to finish with: Will you marry me?
Best Places to Propose in Cancun
Choosing a gorgeous destination is a great way to start, so you are already on the right track! We see a lot of engagements every week and know the best places to propose in Cancun. Check out our list below to start getting some Cancun proposal ideas.
Isla Blanca is a hidden gem almost at the end of the road. As it is more secluded, it is the perfect Cancun proposal idea, especially at sunset. The only downside is that it is a bit difficult to reach, but it is totally worth it!
Your Hotel’s Beach
Of course. If you are staying in a hotel with a nice beach that allows external photographer access, we can capture your Cancun proposal right at your hotel’s beach. If the hotel to propose in does not allow photographers, don’t worry! There are some other great beach spots we can recommend that are probably even more beautiful than your hotel’s beach! Imagine the backdrop to your Cancun engagement being crystal clear water, white sand, and palm trees.
Sick of the Hotel Zone crowds? This is the best beach to catch the breathtaking sunsets which makes it a great spot for an afternoon Cancun proposal. The colorful “Cancun” sign is also here, which has become the official Cancun Instagram spot. Most Cancun photographers recommend this beach since many hotels to propose in do not allow external photographers on-site. Also, it is definitely the best public beach in Cancun’s Hotel Zone!
This sleepy but vibrant little island has become quite popular in the past few years. It is only a 20-minute ferry ride from Cancun, so it makes for a great day trip. Explore the colorful fishing village of Isla Mujeres and end at Playa Norte, a beautiful palm tree-lined beach. See our latest Isla Mujeres Cancun proposal story.
On the opposite side of the beach, you will find the Nichupte Lagoon. It is one of the best examples of natural paradise on the Yucatan peninsula, as it is a large natural reserve with a mangrove ecosystem. It is an amazing spot for a sunset Cancun proposal.
Playa Chac Mool
Just south the heart of the Hotel Zone, this beach has a choice of both sandy and rocky shores.
The public beach & pier of Langosta Beach is near the ferries for Isla Mujeres.
Playa del Carmen
1 hour south of Cancun, Playa del Carmen is the ideal location and the perfect balance of resort life and Mexican town. Take a nap in a hammock at the beach then live it up in the nightlife center of the Riviera Maya. Our favorite Playa del Carmen proposal spots are Punta Esmeralda, Downtown, Playacar Beach, & Cenote Cristalino.
2 hours south of Cancun, Tulum is the ultra-hip modern hippie’s paradise. Artsy and high-end, Tulum is Instagram heaven. Our favorite photo spots in town are Paradise Beach, Xpu-Ha Beach, Tulum Ruins, & Cenote Nicte-Ha.
If you are looking for a colorful Mexican proposal, this is it! It has a small village feeling and is part of a touristic market called MERCADO 28 which is full of handcrafted items and souvenirs.
Private Places to Propose in Cancun
Maybe you are looking for more intimate Cancun engagement ideas? Or you may prefer something simple yet creative? Finding a proposal spot in Cancun that is private, quiet, and intimate can be challenging, but here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Private picnic in a quiet area of a park.
- Cater a private dinner and celebration at a luxury Airbnb.
- Rent a scooter, motorcycle, or maybe even a boat to cruise around until you find the perfect engagement spot.
- Book a private table at your restaurant of choice and get help from the staff to pull it off.
How to Hire a Cancun Proposal Photographer
The moment you reach for the ring, adrenaline and emotions start to kick in and you might not even remember the moment! Hiring a secret Cancun proposal photographer for your surprise engagement will allow you to capture and relive that moment again and again.
Your marriage proposal is a story you will never tire of telling, so it definitely deserves better than selfies! Capture it with Cancun proposal photography that you’ll look back on for years to come.
How does a proposal photoshoot work?
Before choosing a photographer, we recommend having some Cancun proposal ideas in mind first! There are two ways a proposal photoshoot usually happens:
- Hire the photographer for a “normal” photoshoot with your partner, but let the photographer in on your secret proposal plan! This is the best way to ensure the photographer captures the moment perfectly, usually at a closer distance and better positioned.
- The photographer can be waiting at the designated spot to secretly capture the moment, paparazzi-style. You will want to make sure that you are positioned in a way that the photographer captures your partner’s face and their reaction. After the big moment, the photographer will introduce themselves and you can enjoy an engagement shoot after to capture that post-engagement glow.
After your photo shoot is booked, you will be able to plan and coordinate with your photographer directly.
What’s included in a Cancun proposal package?
With every proposal photography package, you’ll get high-resolution engagement photos that are professionally edited and delivered by email in a private online gallery within 5 business days. In your gallery, you will be able to see all the photos from your proposal photoshoot and get to download a certain number of your favorites, depending on your package. It also includes:
- one-on-one planning with your proposal photographer
- photos of the big moment and post-engagement
- private online gallery
- high-resolution photos that are professionally edited
- photos delivered within 5 days
How much does a Cancun proposal photographer cost?
We have photographers on our team that specialize in capturing proposals and engagement photoshoots. Check out our list of the best Cancun proposal photographers to see pricing, compare portfolios, read customer reviews, and check date availability.
Below are our 3 different Cancun proposal packages & pricing: